Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dont buy American Standard Toilets!

I bought my house 7 years ago. It is a very small bungalow. It was all I could afford in a single- detached home in this town that was known for it's good school system. My kids have always come first. The house was well taken care of by the previous owner. Sturdy and clean. They took good care of everything. I started having problems with the toilet recently. It ran alot. Then the clogging started. When I got to the point where I couldn't plunge it and I had to pay Roto-Router $195 to come out and unclog my only toilet at 10pm (which was guaranteed for 1 week, 8 days after they came it clogged again), I decided to listen and buy a new toilet. As I said, water is my nemesis. I used to use a different plumbing company to take care of the boiler on my heating system, I tried to call them about the toilet but I don't know if they went out of business or something, but I couldn't even get an answering machine when I called their phone number. Roto-Rooter is efficient anyway, they are good about showing up in a timely manner. I made an appointment to have them install a new toilet, not bothering to see what they charged, my bad. I went to Home Depot and asked the sales associate's advice. I was directed to the American Standard Champion 4.0. It rated a number 10 in a non-clogging competition or something.I bought it and a seat and the flexible piping to connect it to the wall. That came to almost $300. Roto-Rooter came out, installed the new toilet, took away the old toilet and the box with all the paperwork for the new toilet, helpful plumber that he was. That cost me $379. I was at work while this happened, I had someone at the house with the plumber and didn't specify that he leave the box and paperwork for the new toilet, again, my bad. After about a week, I started to hear the toilet run. It got to the point where it ran constantly. It kept waking me up all night, as my bedroom is next to the bathroom and I am a semi-light sleeper. I tried to call American Standard but either sat on hold for longer than I had time to (45-60 minutes) or was told thier call volume was too high and to call back at another time. Oh, and it does clog-don't beleive that non-clog #10 garbage, but I have been able to plunge. I had a different plumber come out about it running. This plumber told me it was the toilet, American Standard's are the worst toilet you can buy, he said. I needed a new toilet. After spending $875 on toilet situation so far (which I borrowed from my Heloc, so I am also paying interest on this) it was going to be a cold day in hell before I spend another $700 on another toilet. By they way, they recommended Koehler or Gerber, for future reference. At this point I am still furiously trying to get through to American Standard, to no avail. So I wrote them a lovely letter explaining the situation and asking them what they are going to do about it. It's been 3 weeks and I still never received a reply. I got to the point where I was turning the water off on the toilet so I could get some sleep at night. Bad idea....that shut off valve was not meant to be used like a sink faucet. One morning, after turning the water on the toilet and returning to the bathroom after 15 minutes, my bathroom floor was covered with water. Because I had been turning the water off and on, I knocked the packing loose so it was now leaking. I had enough. I tried to research American Standard online, hoping to find a phone number I could get through on. It was then that I found many complaints about the toilets running but they were all from 2004. I couldn't find anything more current and supposedly the problem was being fixed. I called Home Depot and was directed to the appliance department. I spoke to a very nice gentleman named Jim. who told me he had been selling American Standard toilets for years and never had a complaint about them. Hmmm... He asked me for the phone number I had been calling for he was going to call them on my behalf and get to the bottom of this. After that call, I called Roto-Rooter where I also got a very nice person, Lisa. Lisa didn't think my problem had anything to do with the installation but insisted that they send someone out to make sure. I left work to meet them and as usual they were very prompt. They explained about the shut off valve but didn't know what to tell me about the toilet running. They would fix the shut off valve and it was with either going to cost me $90 or $200 depending on the difficulty. I had to get it done so I agreed. I asked that they take the tank off and show me how to put it on so I could take it back to Home Depot. They said they would take the flushing mechanism out and I could return that. So while they were preparing paperwork in their van, I tried calling American Standard again. While sitting on hold, I called my brother-in-law that works for Trane. I knew that Trane had owned American Standard and thought that maybe he could get me a good phone number. I found out that Trane no longer owns American Standard but that he had purchased the same toilet and had the same problem. He told me to run my finger under the blue seal of the flushing mechanism and see if I felt any bubbles. He had had one that was keeping it from sealing properly. I had 6 bubbles. When the plumbers came back in I told them what the problem was and they popped the bubbles I had gotten to yet. Now the toilet runs about once every few hours of so vs. the constant flow before. It cost $90 to have the valve repaired. I FINALLY got through to American Standard the next day after sitting on hold for only 40 minutes, it was a miracle! I was angry and told them I had been trying to call for 3 weeks and had written a letter and never gotten a response. They are sending me a new flushing mechanism. Of course, I won't know how to install it but it is a start. I feel they should reimburse me for the valve repair. I feel they should compensate me for the stess- like maybe an all expense paid vacation in Hawaii.
UPDATE: The toilet now runs about every 40 minutes. I did receive an email from customer service at American Standard asking what color the flushing mechanism was because they think they know what the problem is. I replied and asked for the $90 and for someone to come install the new flusher....think they'll comply? They replied by saying they would send replacement parts and offer $75 towards the installation, if, I sent them a copy of the bill from the plumber and some form of truth of payment. I received the parts and decided to replace them myself. I turned the water off on the toilet removed the tank and figured it all out since the directions they sent were not for the parts them sent me. (suprise, suprise) While I was successful at installing the replacement parts and putting everything back together, I managed to break the tank lever. I ran to Home Depot, since I bought the toilet there, and purchased a Universal tank lever. I don't know how that one was supposed to work but it didn't for me. I ran back to the store, returned the garbage I had just bought and went to buy a different style. The first time we were there we had pushed the "help" button and no one ever came. The second time, we rang and a worker arrived, and not very happy about it. I came home with another one. This one seems to be too small for the hole in the tank. I am very frustrated and exhausted at this point, but Home Depot is closed now. I have cut my knuckles, my hands are chapped from being in water for too long, and now I have to pull the chain to flush the toilet.

No comments: