Thursday, September 18, 2008

About Sam

We had a cat. He was not the nicest cat, nor was he the friendliest cat but he warmed up to some people. Unfortunately, I was never one of them, but I did my best to take care of him. For a few years he lived his life hanging out in the window, or hiding under things where he couldn't be found. He lived peacefully with our dog. Then my daughter got a scottish terrier. The scottie is a warrior, he wants to fight everything on four legs. His natural instinct was to attach the cat. So the cat, became more and more of a recluse. He took to hiding in the basement. As time went by, the cat got used to hearing the click of the scotties claws as he wondered around the first floor of the house. After awhile, he knew when the scottie was tucked away in bed and it was safe to emerge from the basement. I put a little door on the basement door so he could come and go as he pleased but he wouldn't go near it. I ended up having to block it off so the scottie didn't go through it and attach the cat. I felt bad for the cat and I tried to find him a home for two years but no one would take him. He was too old. It became a habit of his to yell at the basement door late at night for my son to let him out to wander. This wouldn't have been a problem if he wasn't so good at hiding and the scottie wasn't so good at hunting. So my son had to make sure he would return safely to the basement when he went to bed. The cat never "meowed". I swear he would yell an eerie "hello" and many people swear he could call my son's name. When this past summer came along, late at night my son got into the habit of sitting outside with the cat. He was not an outside cat, he was declawed, but he would hang close to my son, till one night he ran off into the darkness. I saw him the next day, hiding in the hollowed out tree in the back yard of the empty house next door. I called my son and told him where he was and he said he would get him when he returned him. He did get him, very late at night, and deposited him in my basement covered with lots of new friends.

No comments: