Monday, November 10, 2008

on Windowizards

Even though the housing market has become a little (and I mean a LITTLE) more reasonable, I think houses are still overpriced. I wanted to move to a little "more house" now that my kids are out of school, but six months later and the economy being as scary as it is, I realized I can't afford "more house" even in townships with less-than-desirable school districts. I feel sorry for all the people that got suckered into overpriced houses with interest-only mortgages that they would never be able to pay when the principal payments became do. Greedy banks/mortgage companies and home owners put a hefty nail in the coffin of the American dream, not the President or the government (but that is another rant). So before I get off the subject, I decided to make the unusable spaces in my house, more usable. I had useless enclosed porch. (I don't understand why people do that.) This porch had custom made windows. Well not really windows, more like an outer single pain storm window and a custom built interior storm window with nothing in between. The whole room is on a slant. There is a good 2" difference from where the side wall touches the house and the front exterior wall. A challenge for any window installer. The front door was not the standard 80" door and the framework between the sidelites and the door where very thin. My brother used "Castle Windows" and was very unhappy. They put the wrong windows on his enclosed porch on the back of his house- but he learned to live with it. I researched Windowizards and read a lot of good feedback on them. The salesman came out and we discussed the pros and cons of replacing the doors and windows vs. turning it back into an open porch. I decided to go with the replacements. The windows were very nice and I very reasonably priced. I got 2 large sliders for the front of the house (at the salesman's suggestion)and decided to go with 2 regular pane windows on each side so I could put in a window air conditioner. I need to seriously think about the front door though with the 2 sidelites. I was expecting $1500 and it was really more like $3000. I decided to go for it, albeit painfully, but I thought realized I was putting these beautiful windows in with this old, drafty, wood/glass door in desperate need of TLC with a non-working lock. The carpenter was out about a week later measuring so everything could be ordered. After the carpenters visit, the salesman called to tell me since the framework around the door was not standard size, he wanted an extra $500. I said I didn't want the door then because it was so much anyway. We argued and guess what-I didn't pay the extra $500. The order arrived and was installed 2 weeks before the ETA. That was great. They did a beautiful job and the windows and the door look great. The space is now usable living space. Yea!! There was one set back. Two days after the door was installed I noticed all the wood on the base of the door jam was breaking off. Was this the result of the carpenter not getting his $500?? I sent the salesman a picture on a Saturday and Monday morning they said their service department would be out on Thursday to do the repairs. They were and I am quite happy with the finished product and my "new" room.

1 comment:

TIMMY D said...

Thanks for the story. We are thinking of getting windows with Windowizards (and ironically, Castle Windows was in the picture for awhile, but I never got too far down that path...sounds like maybe that was a good thing!). God bless you as you take care of those two kids! Tim, Willow Grove PA